History of Magnifica Comunità di Fiemme
It is clear beyond doubt that the Fiemme Valley has been inhabited since the earliest times, a fact confirmed by several illustrious researchers such as Prof. Piero Leonardi of the University of Ferrara. Recent studies in the archives of the Magnifica Comunità carried out by Professor Italo Giordani also revealed that the valley has played an historically very important role in its region.
In 1111 B.C. Bishop Gebardo and the people of the Valley signed a document, known today by the name "Patti Ghebardini", in which the independence, as well as the rights of the inhabitants were officially recognized. This is considered the official beginning of the Magnifica Comunità di Fiemme. All these rights and agreements were again confirmed in the "Privilegio Enriciano" document, signed by Bishop Enrico III of Metz in 1314, and by several subsequent episcopal documents. The first palace was built in the 14th century in Cavalese, and later expanded and transformed into a luxurious summer residence by Bishop Bernardo Clesio.
The history of the Magnifica Comunità di Fiemme continues, marked by troublesome events, wars and disputes, up until the Napoleonic period, when the French soldiers reached the Valley and arrived in Predazzo, and came to an end when the Bavarian Government abolished the ancient administrative system and replaced the "regole" (villages) with municipalities. In 1807, after the fall of Napoleon at Waterloo and the Congress of Vienna, the valley became part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire until 1918, when at the end of the first world it was handed over to Italy, together with the rest of Trentino.